09 July 2009

Where is your engine soldier? Blowd up sir!

Well she blew. Funny thing is she went at under 25% throttle, on a cool down lap. Here is a recap: The car is running great, has been running great for the last several sessions, the AFR is reading mid 11s and then all of a sudden there is some detonation. I let off the throttle and baby it for 10 secs or so, checking the gauges, everthing seems fine so I get back at it though easier on the car. I shift at 6k or so, plenty of power, no detonation. Must have been a fluke. I go another session, still going strong, I shift at 65oo, no det, maybe I imagined the det earlier. My 20min session is up, car is going strong, AFR is good, eng temp is about 200, charge air temps are in the 90s under boost. It's all OK.

I'm into my last session of the night, the brakes are toast, these Maruha pads can't take the supercharger speeds. I'm down to the metal on the front pads. I decide to make this a cool down lap, no brakes. I come around a corner at maybe 30mph and ease into the throttle when BRRRRRRP, gargle, smoke. Awww hell.

It's the next morning, my pillow is soaked w tears. I call Pat at Sniper and send him my tune. He says "looks good". I send him my dyno sheet (the one posted earlier). He says" looks rich". I send him pics of my plugs. He says "looks great except that one oil fouled plug".

Cosworth is aware of the issue, and working on a remedy. My own theory is that the tune doesn't have sufficient and reliable control of the ECU and caused the car to go lean, causing detonation.

stay tuned.............







No comments:

Post a Comment