16 April 2011

how to correct the timing on your NC w forged crank?

Setting the timing with the motor in the car isnt all that bad depending on your idea of bad. Off the top of my head..here's the process:
-remove battery and tray
-remove airbox and ECU
-remove nose of car and under tray
-unbolt swaybar brackets and let swaybar lower a bit
-remove trans (optional, but makes tightening easier/possible)
-remove plug on side of block and install crank stop pin
-rotate crank CW till it stops on crank stop
-install flywheel vise to lock the crank down at TDC
-loosen crank pulley bolt
-rotate pulley so that alignment hole is at 6 o'clock and insert alignment bolt (M6x1.0 30mm)
-remove valve cover
-using a big wrench rotate cams so that the #1 cyl lobes are at 1:30 (EX) and 10:30(IN) and slots on back of cams are horizontal
-insert a ~9" lenth of barstock into the slots in the cams to hold their position. (i'll update this w the thickness later)
-tighten the main crank bolt to 100Nm + 90deg (or more??) Use the 3 stage method
-reasemble car

6 comments:

  1. Is the car back in running order? Evryone was asking about you at the WCMC autox. Saw the pics...that must have hurt

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, not together yet. I dont have any time to mess w it right now. I'll start to get it back together in June. Seems forever away but it'll be here soon.

    tell the gang hey!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam,
    I was referred to your blog from the Miata.net forum. I see you pull your engine from the top and I'd like to pick your brain a little about the procedure if you don't mind. I lost a rod bearing and need to do an engine swap. Don't worry, I'm a former professional tech so I just have a few specific question. If you'd contact me at e.allen.greer@gmail.com I'd really appreciate it.
    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam! whats the word, havent heard/seen you in forever.
    Ever since I put in my rollbar I have pretty much changed my residency from IL to Gingerman raceway, we need to meet up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me a call next time you go..im there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet, 90% chance ill be there wednesday. send me your number again, i switched phones. 331 826 6849

    ReplyDelete